Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bead Brigade

One of the projects of our bead society is the Bead Brigade headed by Colleen Hindson where periodically our members will spend time beading with residents of nursing faciliites in the Santa Cruz area. This is from glass bead-maker and bead society member Deb Culmer about her experience going into the Santa Cruz Skilled Nursing recently:

"Last Friday, I visited SC Skilled Nursing to make beads with my friend
there, Janet. This was not an "official" SCBS visit, just informal,
but I knew Janet would tell some folks -- I trusted her judgement to
invite folks who are pretty high-functioning, especially since she
knew I would be there on my own. Colleen loaned me the "donation" bags
of jewelry, and I took along my tools and some hastily assembled
findings and seed beads.

As I walked in, I saw one person who had attended mine and Colleen's
last visit there, Artilio aka Coyote. He was so excited to see me! His
string of beads he made last time had just come apart that morning. I
met Janet, Sue and Cookie in the cafeteria, and the 5 of us went to
the Friendship Room, where we could have some privacy.

I had just a few earring pins and wires with me, and it turned out
everyone except Coyote wanted to make earrings! So I helped Cookie and
Janet make their earrings with wires, and I totally improvised Sue's
using Flex. It was a little tricky and about 85% successful, but she
was thrilled! Coyote used most of my red, black and yellow seed beads
(I had a lot, so it was fine) making a long strand. Janet made herself
a beautiful picture jasper and tiger's eye necklace using stretchy
stuff.

I was there for about 1-1/2 hours, and we had a GREAT time! I even
managed to make a bracelet for myself."
Thanks to Deb making time for this activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment